“I believe your home tells a story about who you are and who you aspire to be. We represent ourselves through the things we own. I don’t believe in trends. I believe in collecting things that you connect with. We should surround ourselves with things we care about, that have meaning.” Nate Berkus
My house is literally my favourite place in the entire world. I know it may sound closed-minded or maybe a little boring but for me my house is my sanctuary and I love everything about it. Don’t get me wrong I love going on holidays and getting out and about during the weekend but nothing beats that feeling of walking into the house and being hit with the comfort and safety of being back home.
If you have browsed through my Instagram page you would probably notice my slight obsession with interior design and I’m often asked why I haven’t pursued a career in it but to be totally honest my love for interior design is totally selfish as I only like improving my own home.
I may not be able to help with the placement of furniture or what theme you should go with for your house but I can share some tips on how to make your house feel more like a home.
- Decorate your home with things that make you feel happy – I love framing and displaying my children’s art around the house as seeing their little creations makes me smile just as much as having family photos around the home.
- Chuck out the stuff you don’t need, use or cherish – Clutter can subconsciously be driving you crazy and it’s not until you declutter that you notice how much easier it is to relax without it. On that note for anything you do keep you don’t need have it all on display, I prefer only having a few of my favourite decorative items around the home.
- Clean your house regularly – Don’t assign cleaning to a particular day of the week, do a little each day so when you wake up or get home you can relax without the daunting list of chores that need to be done.
- Add a scent – The smell in my home has just as equal importance as my own personal smell. Whether its candles, incense, or a diffuser I always have some sort of scent flowing through my home.
- Share your home with others – We love entertaining and so many memories have been made from inviting others to enjoy our home with us. I like to think our house is warm, loving and caring and it’s a place where everyone can be themselves without the fear of being judged.
Your home should be like being in a safe cocoon where you can relax and recharge so when you leave you emerge as your best self.