“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” – Leo Buscaglia
I’ve had “one of those days” today. You know those days when you feel exhausted but you don’t really know why and it only takes the slightest thing to irritate you? I was doing a quick dash to the shops to grab the one ingredient I was missing for dinner when someone stopped me and complimented my hair. I was a little bit confused as my hair was what I would consider a total mess but the kind comment made me smile none the less. It really got me thinking about compliments and how powerful they can be so thought I would dig a little deeper as to why we should do it more often and this is what I came up with.
- It’s free – Seriously though, a compliment costs absolutely nothing but has the power to impact someone’s day so much more than any other gift you could buy.
- It’ll create a snowball effect – When you give a compliment to someone they are more likely to compliment someone else or even give you a compliment back. The happy feeling you gave to one person then spreads affecting people everywhere.
- Its selfless– Complimenting someone shows that you are paying attention to more than just what’s going on in your own world. It’s also a sign of genuine kindness and is a great demonstration of the person you are, especially if it’s the first time you have met.
- You’ll see more good than bad – Once you have gotten into the habit of giving genuine compliments you will start to notice more of the positive qualities in people rather than the negative.
- It can change someone’s life– Yep! We have all heard a story about how someones kind words have transformed another’s life. Your acknowledgement of someone’s efforts, actions or appearance can be the motivation they need to keep going.
So go out there, give someone a compliment but make sure its sincere. You don’t just get that warm happy feeling by receiving a compliment, you get it from giving one too.
Thanks for reading xo