“For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather; To cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands” – Christina Rossetti
Some of my most vivid unpleasant memories I have of my life include some sort of irrational violence or unreasonable reactions caused by anger, stress or pain. I initially started to write this post with the intention to share some tips on how to be more calm but thought its probably better to share the benefits of calmness first to really motivate others to implement the tips into their everyday life.
So here are 5 benefits as to why calm is so beneficial to yourself and others around you.
- Calm can be contagious – We all know how easy it is to pick up on someone’s emotion when they are in a state of panic or stress even if you’re not directly involved but just an observer of a situation. Calm also has the same impact and has the power to change an incredibly uncomfortable situation into a more manageable one.
- You will make better decisions – Without the clouded mix of negative emotions calmness leads to clearer more rational thinking. This means we can better see the whole picture rather than just the problem or our desired outcome.
- It balances out all of your emotions – Just like you can’t have a rainbow without a little bit of rain emotions are the same. It’s not that stress, fear or any other emotion is bad as they can all be useful in how we react to different situations, but calmness gives us the flexibility to better control and balance all the other emotions.
- Calm is strength and power – This means you are not letting your impulses control you and you are no longer the puppet of your negative emotions. This is the ultimate display of strength and power.
- You’ll be respected – People will admire you for keeping your cool and not allowing yourself to loose control. They will feel more comfortable approaching you without the worry that you might lash out which creates a happier environment for everyone around you.
I hope everyone can relate to some of the benefits I shared and make sure you stay tuned for my tips on how to bring more calm into your life!
Thanks for reading ☮