5 tips to help spring clean your mind
“No winter lasts forever. No spring skips its turn.”
With the arrival of warmer weather, brighter nature and longer days I can feel the need for change floating in the air. Most people associate the arrival of spring with cleaning or working on your summer body but for me it’s a prompt to reboot my mind. No matter how much we change the physical parts of our life what truly makes a difference are the things going on in the space between your ears.
On that note I have done some research and gathered together a couple of ways we can freshen up our minds this spring that’ll make any external changes we make 100 times more powerful.
- Have a deep & meaningful chat with yourself – This afternoon I wrote a list of the things that bring me happiness and the things that don’t. The key to making this work is to be as detailed as possible so you can really nail down exactly what, when, how and why something makes you feel the way it does. For example, if you have listed “work” as one of things that make you unhappy think about how your day starts and at what point you feel the negativity creeping up. You may find that it is only when you do a task or see a particular person that you start to dislike your work and then you can make a plan to improve that part of your day.
- Shake up your daily routine – This is a HUGE goal for me this spring as I live and breathe the same old routine which often leaves me feeling like I’m living on auto pilot. For the most part my routine works but with the arrival of warmer weather I want to incorporate more walks, a healthier diet and more FUN into my daily routine. Ask yourself what you would do if you had an extra hour in your day and then take action!
- Do a digital detox – How much time do you spend on technology? What information are you filling your brain with? I have fallen into the trap of being technology obsessed in the colder months and a lot of my time was spent watching TV or playing on my phone filling my head with useless content and wasting precious time. I do enjoy having time to zone out and cutting technology out of my life is never going to happen so instead I am going to make a few small tweaks. I have turned off a lot of notifications so I’m less likely to reach for my phone, I have positive podcasts and meditations to listen to and I have a new book I’m excited to start reading.
- Be kind to yourself – As part of clearing out your mental clutter you need to bring awareness to any negative self-evaluations you have held onto. I have written an entire post sharing tips on how you can improve your positive self talk so make sure you check it out.
- Laugh – Finally I think we all need to stress less and laugh more. The power of laughter is INCREDIBLE and I feel like sometimes we all take life way to seriously. I watched an inspiring talk a while ago and the lady said, “No-one ever laughs at a good hair day” and how true is that!? You’ll find that the funniest stories we share involve some sort of misfortune that you later laugh off.
Thanks for reading and make sure you share your smile with the world today ☮