10 Tips To Help Bring More Calm Into Your Life Today
“Calm mind brings inner strength and self-confidence, so that’s very important for good health.”- Dalai Lama
I recently shared 5 benefits of staying calm in preparation to share this post which will give you some simple tips on how to bring some more calm into your life. If you haven’t already read that post click here as its important to know why bringing more calm into your life will benefit you so you have the motivation to implement some of the tips below.
- Build healthy habits – So much of what we eat and drink contribute to our mental health and overall well-being. Healthy eating habits combined with some sort of exercise are integral for overall health and well being.
- Sleep – Researchers have found that people who sleep less or have disrupted sleep are more likely to experience negative thoughts and are at higher risk of developing anxiety. Having a good night’s sleep can lead to reduced symptoms of mental illness which will help you develop a calm mind.
- Clean your space – The environment we are living, working, sleeping or travelling in has a huge impact on how we are feeling. I know that for me personally when the space around me is cluttered or dirty I have to clean before I can begin to think properly.
- Get a routine – People who seem cool, calm and collected usually are because they are prepared for the day before it even begins. They get to where they need to on time and have everything prepped and ready to go.
- Be present – Don’t carry the weight of the world on your shoulders and avoid falling into the trap that every stressful or challenging moment will last forever.
- Be adaptable – This is important as life isn’t always going to be perfect. Accept that your day may not go to plan and you’ll be better able to adjust to whatever changes are necessary in that moment.
- Breathe – By taking a long slow breath through your nose and counting to 3 before exhaling through your mouth will trigger neurons in your brain which will tell your body to relax. Try it, it really does work!
- Think before you react – “Do you have the patience to wait till your mud settles and the water is clear?” ~Lao Tzu. We often react without thinking and end up making a situation worse. Pause and consider what the most intelligent and compassionate response might be. What can we do that will make the situation better, calm everyone down and not upset anyone.
- Ask for help – It is so important to recognise when you need help and actually utilise the resources and people you have around you, getting a different perspective on a situation can help solve it quicker!
- Let it go – Just as the wise Buddha said “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” To be able to bring more calm into your life you need to let go of the negatives of the past. Meditate, go for a walk, take a bath, listen to music and have a good quality sleep to reset your mind.
Thanks for reading and make sure you share your smile with the world today ☮